ABOUT GEORGES DUBOEUF
Georges Duboeuf is on the left and his son, Franck, who runs the winery with him, is on the right. The Duboeuf family has been tending vineyards and producing wine in the Mâconnais region of France (right next door to Beaujolais) for at least four centuries.
Young and full of energy, Georges eventually took over the family business with his older brother and set off with his family-grown wines strapped to his bicycle to sell them to the best restaurants in Lyon – the nearest city and France’s undisputed culinary capital.
Georges’ wines were a hit with some of the country’s best chefs and found their place on the wine list of some of the city’s most prestigious and highly awarded establishments. In response to this burgeoning success, Georges continued to bottle his wines and to develop relations with other regional growers and winemakers who wanted Georges to bottle and sell their wines, as well. These relationships allowed him access to the best wines of the region – wines that also reflected the great diversity of the vineyards of Beaujolais.
This was the start of a great adventure that brought the business of wine closer to the winemakers in a region that had previously been dominated by old school négociants – traders who sourced grapes and wines from disparate growers and producers, blended them indiscriminately, and sold whatever wine (good or bad) resulted. Georges adapted this négociant system to benefit growers and winemakers by providing the resources to bottle their wines individually and selling them on their behalf so that they could focus on the work that mattered in the vineyards and the cellars. This new system also placed a higher emphasis on quality and site-specific wines, allowing winemakers to focus on producing wines that expressed the characteristics of their vineyards and estates.
Les Vins Georges Duboeuf was founded by Georges Duboeuf in September of 1964. Georges revolutionized the practices of the time by combining his ancestors’ traditional methods of production; respect for terroir and the work of the winemaker; rigorous selection and monitoring of wines at the time of bottling and, above all, the continuous search for quality.
Traveling the world to share his passion for Beaujolais, Georges has become, in a sense, the ambassador of the region and the undisputed “King of Beaujolais”. While respecting and celebrating the expertise and style of the producers and growers with whom he maintains close relations, he has leveraged the success of Les Vins Georges Duboeuf to share the very best of Beaujolais with wine lovers around the world.
ABOUT BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU
Beaujolais Nouveau is a young, fruity, and fresh red wine that is made and released every year on the third Thursday of November only 6-8 weeks after the grapes are harvested. The annual release of Beaujolais Nouveau has its roots in a regional celebration of the end of harvest that has happened in Beaujolais for generations. Beaujolais Nouveau is a festive and fun wine – what the French call “vin de soif” – that is gulpable and easygoing.
35 years ago, Georges Duboeuf decided to share that tradition and celebration with wine lovers around the world and released his first Beaujolais Nouveau in markets across the globe. Since then, the annual release of Beaujolais Nouveau has grown into the world’s largest annual wine celebration.
In the U.S., Beaujolais Nouveau’s release the week before Thanksgiving marks the unofficial beginning of the holiday season. And what perfect timing – as you won’t find a better turkey wine!
For many years, the wine was released every year with a different artist-designed label and the annual reveal of the label and design was almost as exciting as the wine itself. The different label designs reflected the fact that every year, Beaujolais Nouveau is a new and different wine – each bottling a unique expression of that vintage and a preview of what is to come.
It is in this spirit that in 2017, Les Vins Georges Duboeuf held the first annual Nouveau Artist Label Contest. We have decided to continue the tradition and are again inviting artists from all over the U.S. to submit their own design that captures the joyous and exuberant qualities of Beaujolais Nouveau – all of the things that make it the perfect wine to share with friends, family, and loved ones – and a celebration unto itself.
CONTEST RULES AND GUIDELINES
Les Vins Georges Duboeuf is a family-owned winery in the heart of the Beaujolais region of France with a rich history of collaborating with artists to create iconic labels for Beaujolais Nouveau, a young fresh wine released every year on the third Thursday of November (November 16, 2017).
This year, we are inviting professional artists to submit label designs that reflect the fresh, youthful, and vibrant qualities of Beaujolais Nouveau. The wine itself is bright, juicy, and fruit-forward. With more than a million bottles sold every year, Beaujolais Nouveau is a wine for and about celebrating. It is the first wine of the harvest, a harbinger of the holiday season and a reason to get together with friends and familySubmission Details:
• All submissions must be either uploaded via the submission form on our website or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Nouveau Label Contest”.
• Submissions must be submitted along with a high-res head shot and must be submitted in one of the following formats: PDF, JPG, EPS, AI, TIFF, PSD, PNG
• Artists must carefully review and agree to the terms and conditions on our website before submitting. Please note that the winning piece of artwork will become property of Les Vins Georges Duboeuf and the artist submitting the work must have it in their possession; it cannot be a piece of artwork that has been previously sold or is otherwise unavailable.
• Submissions should be original pieces of artwork that reflect the qualities of Beaujolais Nouveau – bright, celebratory, fresh. All submissions must have elements that relate to the themes of celebration, harvest, festivity, and vibrancy.
• Submissions do not have to contain any text or label information – these will be added by our designer.
• Multiple submissions are allowed as long as they are all received by April 1st, 11:59 PM EST.
• All submissions will be displayed on the contest website starting March 1,2017.
• Visitors to the site can vote and comment on the submissions they like best and a final selection of 10 will be chosen by a panel, with consideration of input from visitors to the website. All commenters must agree to the terms and conditions.
• The final 10 will be posted to the Georges Duboeuf social media pages (Facebook and Instagram) for voting from consumers April 15-29.
• A vote is considered a like, a comment, or a share across Facebook and/or Instagram and artists are encouraged to post to their social media channels as well to maximize votes!
• The artist who created the label that receives the most votes within this period will receive a $3,500 grant and will have their artwork turned into a label that will be printed on more than a million bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau along with a credit on the back label. To see last year’s winning lable, please click here.
• Runners-up will have the opportunity to have their label designs presented for additional Nouveau Label opportunities, and if selected, will receive a grant ranging from $500-$1,500.